[Buildroot] New kernel source mode [Proposal]

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Jan 15 20:40:53 UTC 2013

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Calfee <stevecalfee at gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

 Steve> Hi, I am not opposed to a simple integration of kernel development
 Steve> into buildroot.

 Steve> However, the last time I did kernel hacking a few years ago with
 Steve> buildroot, we just did not build the kernel with BR. The greatly
 Steve> speeds up a BR build after a clean (If you also use an external
 Steve> toolchain).

 Steve> We had the kernel tree in an external git tree where we did standard
 Steve> cross builds using the same compilers used by the BR. A simple script
 Steve> to copy uImage and the modules to the nfs filesystem where BR was
 Steve> extracted made a testable system.

I work somewhat similar. I build the kernel by hand while I'm developing
on it (working on a driver or whatever), and the same for any custom
applications, and only use buildroot as an integration tool once the
individual components are more-or-less stable to ensure everything is
under version control and can be reproduced.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard