[Buildroot] WebkitGtk upgradation

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Thu Feb 28 12:23:32 UTC 2013

 Thomas> Dear Will Newton,
 Thomas> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:22:27 +0000, Will Newton wrote:

 >> As far as I can tell DirectFB is not really supported any more. If I
 >> remember correctly the current WebKit in buildroot will build with
 >> GTK+/DirectFB but will crash on startup. The crash is fairly easy to
 >> work around but I think is a symptom of the fact that no one is
 >> running with this setup.
 >>
 >> Newer versions of GTK+ removed the DirectFB backend so it may have to
 >> be removed from buildroot in the future too.

 Thomas> My feeling is also that the DirectFB backend of Gtk has never been
 Thomas> seriously maintained over time. There are from time to time some people
 Thomas> who fix the issues, but then it goes on unmaintained for a number of
 Thomas> months/years, during which it slowly degrades into an unusable state.

 Thomas> I would therefore suggest that Buildroot follows upstream: get
 Thomas> rid of the DirectFB backend. If anyone really wants the
 Thomas> DirectFB backend in Gtk, then it should be fixed upstream. But
 Thomas> I don't think it should force Buildroot users to stay with old
 Thomas> Webkit/Gtk because of this.

Agreed. I've added a comment for 2013.02 to warn users that it is
deprecated:

http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=0e0e42176d4a46515aff577d9702d91208e27c5d

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard