[Buildroot] editing device_table_dev.txt

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Feb 21 23:24:11 UTC 2013

On 22/02/13 00:07, Stefan Fröberg wrote:

>>> It is ?
>>> Damn, then the only options are mdev and udev.
>>
>>   I'm afraid that mdev and udev no longer work with old kernels that
>> don't support the DEVTMPFS option...
>>
>>   mdev and udev don't create device nodes; they only do something
>> configurable when a hotplug event happens.
>>

> What you mean that mdev or udev does not create device nodes ???
> If older kernels don't support devtmpfs like Baruch
> said then who does that device node creation if not the mdev or udev
> when event happens ???

  Well, nobody...

  Turns out that mdev still does device node creation. Makes me wonder if
I'm not mistaken about udev as well... I just remember hearing that
device node creation was removed when DEVTMPFS was introduced.

>>   That said, you can create custom mdev/udev rules to create device
>> nodes. But it's all manual - and much simpler to just create the
>> device nodes manually.
>>

> for mdev it's just a single file, /etc/mdev.conf (I can even copy-paste
> it here, it's not that long and will cover 99% of needs).

  Yes, but that file just specifies the chmod/chown rules, not how to
create the device nodes. But as I just saw in the code, mdev does in fact
create the device nodes.

  Regards,
  Arnout

> for udev it punch of rules found under /lib/udev/rules.d and yes, it can
> get really tedious to play games with those files if some device node is
> not created or
> is not created with right permissions or whatever.

[snip]