[Buildroot] Buildroot at ELC: review/suggestions needed

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Feb 13 23:13:55 UTC 2013

On 13/02/13 23:57, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Also, I wonder how and how much we could evaluate the Buildroot overhead.
> For example, considering a system that only has buildroot in it, how long
> does it take to build busybox, compile the filesystem generator (eg.
> genext2fs and fakeroot) and assemble the file system images, all manually
> (but only couting the build time, not the manual keying of the commands),
> and how long does it take Buildroot to achieve the same?

  You can approximate the overhead with 'make -qp > /dev/null'.
Everything else that actually does get executed is necessary. Oh, wait:
the time of dependencies.sh should also be taken along. But basically,
the Buildroot overhead is roughly 5 seconds.

  Of course, with manually typing commands, you can make some shortcuts,
like not using 'find' to find which things to remove in the finalize
steps. On my allpackageyesconfig setup the finalize step takes in the
order of 30 seconds.

  Regards,
  Arnout