[Buildroot] Report from the Buildroot Developers Meeting

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Feb 12 11:53:14 UTC 2013

Dear Stephan Hoffmann,

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:49:15 +0100, Stephan Hoffmann wrote:

> > Why don't you build your external toolchain once, put it in a
> > tarball, and then point Buildroot to it?
> Because, as I wrote, I like the concept to have it integrated in
> buildroot's configuration.

It's integrated in your configuration: your Buildroot configuration
says "use toolchain from http://foobar.com/toolchain.tar.gz", and
that's it.

> >  You have to do this only once, and you
> > can even put your toolchain tarball on a server so that others can
> > use it without having to rebuild the toolchain.
>
> What's the advantage of your proposal against using ct-ng to build the
> toolchain or use a prepared one from somewhere else?

There's no advantage because my proposal is exactly what you state
here: prepare a toolchain first (could be with Buildroot, with ct-ng,
or some other pre-existing toolchain), and use it with Buildroot as an
external toolchain.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons