[Buildroot] Wireless config tool

Dimitrios Siganos dimitris at siganos.org
Mon Feb 4 20:52:03 UTC 2013

On 04/02/13 18:17, Stephen Turner wrote:
> My current question is if im using a mobile device that will be
> connecting to various wifi hotspots i will need to be able to setup
> wifi connections easily from a gui. currently with buildroot i only
> see the option to manually edit configs to set up hotspots. Is there a
> tool im overlooking currently in buildroot to help with this setup or
> will i need to manually add one in? Im looking for something similiar
> to wicd or how a android device would manage wifi connections.

Hi Stephen,

I am not aware of a simple answer to your question. The major options are:

* network-manager
* wicd
* connman

Network manager is a gnome project and it does expect rather a lot of
desktop support. It's possible but not simple.

Wicd I don't know much about but it sounds like you do and it won't do.

Connman is a new framework that is targeted to the embedded space so
that is your best bet. I have never used it myself and don't know any
details about it.

Other notes:
* openwrt have a web server driven configuration interface that you
might want to look at
* Android do their own thing (don't have more details)

Questions:
What kind of graphical environemwnt do you have?
What kind of Wifi network do you want to connect to? (open, wpa
personal, wpa enterprise)

Regards,
Dimitris