[Buildroot] Untypical situation - python-smbus which is also a part of i2c-tools.

Wojciech Zabolotny wzab01 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 21:33:52 UTC 2013

I needed to assure access to i2c peripherals from Python programs in
my buildroot based embedded system.
There is a py-smbus module, which is available as a part of i2c-tools,
but which is not compiled during compilation of this package, and uses
other tools for compilation.

Simple addition of EXTRA="py-smbus" when executing make (as described
in original README) doesn't help as it was discussed in a thread:
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2013-June/074037.html

After some review of some packages which use python components, I have
got the attached mk file, which works, but is not a clean solution.
I don't know if there is a cleaner way to achieve that?

The ideal solution would be probably to allow selection of the
python-smbus as a part of the i2c-tools package.
How should it be done?

Wojciech M. Zabołotny
My GPG/PGP keys:
standard: B191 ACF0 7909 83FA 3F9B  450C 407E 3C4B 4569 D119
confidential: 2BF3 F90F 6EA8 7D35 59FD  5080 78ED 33DE 1312 D8F8