[Buildroot] Q: using different cross compilers with the same target

Hartley Sweeten HartleyS at visionengravers.com
Mon Dec 9 18:14:08 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I have a target system that has been using an older version of Buildroot
with the Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203 (gcc 4.3.3) toolchain. I have not
updated Buildroot or the toolchain on this system for quite a while
because it "works".

I now need to support a touchscreen for a new app that will be used on
the target system. The widget library I am going to use needs support for
lambda closure functions so I need to use a newer gcc compiler.

Basically I want to:

1) keep my current Buildroot setup for maintaining what we currently have.
	a) uses Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203 (gcc 4.3.3) toolchain
2) create a new Buildroot tree for new app development.
	a) use the Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2013.05-24 (gcc 4.7.3) toolchain
3) merge the pieces needed from (2) into the rootfs created by (1)

Is it possible to do this? If so what pieces from (2) do I actually need to merge?

Thanks,
Hartley