[Buildroot] [RFC] pkg-python infrastructure

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Dec 4 23:05:40 UTC 2013

Hello all,

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:52:54 -0500, Ryan Barnett wrote:

> A while back (about a week ago) - Gustavoz Zacarias, Thomas Petazzoni, and
> myself - were having a conversation on the IRC about creating a new
> package type for handling the builds of python packages. If I recall
> correctly, this is what we discussed. I would like to just have some
> record on how we want to handle building python packages.
>
> Thomas P and Gustavoz - please correct/expand on any points that I may be
> missing.

Following this discussion, I've started working on this. The current
status of the work is available at:

 http://git.free-electrons.com/users/thomas-petazzoni/buildroot/log/?h=python-pkg

The most important commit is:

 http://git.free-electrons.com/users/thomas-petazzoni/buildroot/commit/?h=python-pkg&id=5880956ce258b15887049ca5850007395cfd1857

It works quite well with distutils, there are a some issues with
setuptools packages: I'll probably need to distinguish them. There are
also a few more Python packages that have not been converted.

I've limited myself to support Python 2.x for the moment: the idea is
that once all Python packages have been converted to the
infrastructure, it will be easier to extend it to also cover Python 3.x.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons