[Buildroot] Call for autobuild fixing for 2013.11

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:15:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,
>
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 13:53:53 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> > Yes, I must say I was impressed by how much we managed to reduce the
>> > number of build failures.
>>
>> A wild idea I have is to keep count of how many autobuild problems
>> were fixed by each contributor, and add this ranking to the buildroot
>> release e-mail, similar to how commits are counted. This would give
>> some extra incentive to developers in fixing such problems.
>
> In practice, there is usually one commit to fix each autobuilder issue,
> so people already get credited by the number of commits.
>
> However, if you want, we can run some statistics based on which commit
> logs contained a reference to an autobuild URL, and extract these.
> Should not be too complicated to achieve.
>
> ... a little bit of scripting later ...
>
> for i in $(git log --format=%H 2013.08..2013.11); do git show --quiet $i | grep -q http://autobuild && git show --quiet --format="%an" $i ; done | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn -k1
>
> gives the following scores for the last release:
>
>      39 Gustavo Zacarias
>      21 Peter Korsgaard
>      17 Thomas Petazzoni
>      14 Simon Dawson
>       6 Thomas De Schampheleire
>       6 Romain Naour
>       5 Vicente Olivert Riera
>       5 Samuel Martin
>       4 Fatih Aşıcı
>       4 Arnout Vandecappelle
>       3 Ryan Barnett
>       3 Axel Lin
>       2 Phil Eichinger
>       2 Matt Weber
>       2 Chris Zankel
>       1 Michael Rommel
>       1 Luca Ceresoli
>       1 Jerzy Grzegorek
>       1 Clayton Shotwell
>       1 Baruch Siach
>       1 Alexander Lukichev
>
> Of course, this assumes that any commit that contains a reference to a
> http://autobuild<something> URL is fixing an autobuilder failure. Which
> I guess is good enough indicator (even though possibly not perfect).

Nice!
The results for previous releases do indeed show an increased interest
in fixing autobuild failures this release (results below). While the
number of contributors fixing autobuild problems (and marking it as
such) ranged between 9 and 15 since 2012.08, this release there were
no less than 21 unique contributors!
I assume this 'call for autobuild fixing' has had some part in it, and
therefore I certainly think we should repeat this 'extra attention
mail' next release (February).

2012.08...2012.11
     45 Thomas Petazzoni
     27 Peter Korsgaard
      8 Gustavo Zacarias
      7 Simon Dawson
      5 Arnout Vandecappelle
      2 Maxime Ripard
      2 Markos Chandras
      1 Danomi Manchego
      1 Baruch Siach

2012.11...2013.02
     45 Gustavo Zacarias
     38 Peter Korsgaard
     32 Thomas Petazzoni
      8 Maxime Ripard
      6 Yann E. MORIN
      3 gilles.talis at gmail.com
      2 Simon Dawson
      1 Stephan Hoffmann
      1 Samuel Martin
      1 Markos Chandras
      1 Luca Ceresoli
      1 Gilles Talis
      1 Carsten Schoenert
      1 Baruch Siach
      1 Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)

2013.02...2013.05
     47 Gustavo Zacarias
     32 Thomas Petazzoni
     14 gilles.talis at gmail.com
     13 Peter Korsgaard
      3 Samuel Martin
      2 Simon Dawson
      2 Baruch Siach
      2 Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)
      1 Yann E. MORIN
      1 Thomas De Schampheleire
      1 Olivier Schonken
      1 Markos Chandras
      1 Carsten Schoenert

2013.05...2013.08
     39 Gustavo Zacarias
     16 Thomas Petazzoni
     13 Peter Korsgaard
      4 gilles.talis at gmail.com
      3 Thomas De Schampheleire
      2 Simon Dawson
      2 Samuel Martin
      2 Markos Chandras
      2 Jérôme Pouiller
      1 Yann E. MORIN
      1 Spenser Gilliland
      1 Gilles Talis

2013.08...2013.11
     39 Gustavo Zacarias
     21 Peter Korsgaard
     17 Thomas Petazzoni
     14 Simon Dawson
      6 Thomas De Schampheleire
      6 Romain Naour
      5 Vicente Olivert Riera
      5 Samuel Martin
      4 Fatih Aşıcı
      4 Arnout Vandecappelle
      3 Ryan Barnett
      3 Axel Lin
      2 Phil Eichinger
      2 Matt Weber
      2 Chris Zankel
      1 Michael Rommel
      1 Luca Ceresoli
      1 Jerzy Grzegorek
      1 Clayton Shotwell
      1 Baruch Siach
      1 Alexander Lukichev

>> > However, it's hard to be 100% sure a failure showing is a new failure,
>> > even if we had several days in a row with 0 failures. The number of
>> > possible combinations is so huge that I don't think it's possible to
>> > test all of them within a reasonable amount of time. So a "new failure"
>> > may just be something that did exist since quite some time was that we
>> > couldn't trigger (like was indeed by another failure, for example).
>>
>> True. But, imagine we had zero failures for a few days, and then there
>> is a new failure. The logical thing to do is check which package
>> fails, in which way, and have a look at the recent commits. In many
>> cases, it would be obvious whether the new failure is or could be
>> caused by such a recent commit, or if it is an 'old' issue that wasn't
>> seen for a while.
>> So, while we cannot automatically blame the last set of commits,
>> having close-to-zero failures would certainly help a lot in the
>> analysis.
>
> True. But in practice, that's something we're already able to do. As I
> follow autobuilder failures quite regularly, I'm quite easily able to
> determine whether a build failure is something new that is possibly
> related to a recent commit, or something that has been around for quite
> some time.

This works for you because, as you say, you follow everything very
well. But a 'normal contributor' (no offence :-) ) that does not look
at every commit and every autobuild failure will have a harder time in
making that analysis.