[Buildroot] initramfs doesn't get linked into kernel

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Fri Apr 26 23:37:59 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get the initramfs image linked in to my kernel
zImage.  I have selected BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS (the only option I can
find in the menuconfig containing 'initramfs') but nothing gets linked in to
my kernel.

I am using a custom kernel config, and I tried putting the filename of the
buildroot-generated .cpio image in as CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE which linked in
successfully, but then it won't boot as it appears you are supposed to put an
initramfs configuration filename here instead.

Is it correct that I have to manually put something into
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE?  If so, what should I place here to use the rootfs
generated by buildroot?

Many thanks,
Adam.