[Buildroot] buildroot still compiles C++ code when C++ compiler is unavailable

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Thu Apr 25 04:46:05 UTC 2013

Hi all,

After a successful build and changing some settings, I'm struggling to get a
second successful build.  I had to select a newer version of GCC to avoid some
segfaults, but now when compiling I get these errors:

checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: in
`buildroot/build/gettext-0.18.2.1/gettext-runtime/libasprintf':
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details
configure: error: ./configure failed for libasprintf
configure: error: ./configure failed for gettext-runtime

According to Google it's because I don't have a C++ compiler installed, which
is correct, I had originally compiled it, but then I deselected it in the
buildroot config as the library was too big to fit in my device's flash memory.

I was assuming buildroot would now omit those packages that require C++, but
it looks like I am wrong.  Is there an easy way to find out which packages
depend on C++ and tell buildroot not to build them, now I have deselected C++
support?

Thanks,
Adam.