[Buildroot] Extending buildroot functionality for creating board support packages (BSP) out of buildroot tree

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Apr 13 14:25:05 UTC 2013

Hello Andreas,

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:18:49 +0200 (CEST), universeII at gmx.de wrote:

> If I understand you correctly this means that I have to hold a
> complete copy of the kernel tree where I do the modifications? The
> requirement for me is that I have to store only the modified and new
> files in a different directory tree (under version control). So rsync
> does not work for me and I have to write a small script which is
> invoked by buildroot and copies my local files to the right
> directories in the kernel tree.

While we certainly aim at supporting a custom external tree for the
Linux kernel sources to help using Buildroot during kernel development,
we will certainly never support your use case of a partial kernel tree
that contains only the modified and new files. This is just a very
uncommon (and in my opinion completely wrong) way of handling source
code changes. You should instead be using a git tree to do your kernel
developments, and point LINUX_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR to it.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons