[Buildroot] Host xmllint dynamic link failure

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Sep 25 23:55:15 UTC 2012

  During one of my test builds, I ran into a dynamic linker failure when running
xmllint:

/usr/bin/xmllint: relocation error: /usr/bin/xmllint: symbol xmlShell, version LIBXML2_2.4.30 not defined in file
libxml2.so.2 with link time reference

  The problem is that we compile with LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$(HOST_DIR)/usr/lib:",
so that our host-libxml2 is used instead of the one in /usr/lib.  Or,
the problem is that /usr/bin/xmllint is used instead of
$(HOST_DIR)/usr/bin/xmllint.  The path is hardcoded in xmlto...

  Possible solutions:

- Build host-xmlto.  This will require updating all packages using xmlto
to add host-xmlto to the dependencies.

- Remove LD_LIBRARY_PATH and rely on rpath to find the libraries.  This may
require patching some of the host packages.  At first sight, it doesn't look
too bad, however.

  Regards,
  Arnout
--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540