[Buildroot] Fwd: Re: Basic questions about using BuildRoot

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 10:43:12 UTC 2012

Martin,
Please, when you reply to an e-mail from a mailing list, hit
'Reply-all' instead of 'Reply'.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Martin Peevski <martin at ronetix.at> wrote:
> On 16/09/12 14:12, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Op 16 sep. 2012 12:26 schreef "Martin Peevski" <martin at ronetix.at> het
> volgende:

How were these u-boot images built. Do they have custom source? Which
configuration was used?
Have you tried using the exact same configuration?

If you're only interested in the rootfs, you could use the original,
working u-boot and use the rootfs from buildroot. Have you tried that?

> One question beyond the theme: is it possible to build only Root FS
> compatible with some external Kernel without any tool and if so how to do
> that?

It is of course possible to build every package yourself, and create
an image from that, but you'd have to know how to do it. That's
precisely the reason why you'd use buildroot: to not need to know all
the details and benefit from the knowledge and work of others.