[Buildroot] Fwd: Re: Basic questions about using BuildRoot

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:12:28 UTC 2012

Hi Martin,

Op 16 sep. 2012 12:26 schreef "Martin Peevski" <martin at ronetix.at> het
volgende:

it finish only the u-boot.bin was in the output/images/ directory. Neither
a Kernel nor a File system was build. It was included in the menuconfig but
was not build. Also i program the u-boot.bin in the target and it not work.
Can you please help me again to resolve that problem?

> If the kernel is not built and there were no errors during the build
process, it must mean that your config is not ok.
> Can you re-verify the .config file for e.g. the kernel settings?
>
> Note that I don't have specific experience with this board nor with
uboot, so I can't answer that question.
> In general, I'd wonder whether you programmed the bootloader correctly,
what the errors were you encountered, if any, ...
> Did you follow the procedure regarding configuration I outlined in my
first response? First defconfig, then make. Can you try with a clean
defconfig without any modifications?

> Best regards, Thomas
>

> > On 15/09/12 20:50, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> >>

> >> Op 15 sep. 2012 19:29 schreef "Martin Peevski" <martin at ronetix.at> het
volgende:

build embedded Linux system with BuildRoot tool for AT91SAM9263 target. May
questions are described below:

command, shall I execute only make command to build the entire embedded
system? Or there is need to execute make at91sam9263ek_defconfig command
prior or after the pure make command?

> >> If there is a defconfig for your board, you would start with 'make
xxx_defconfig' and then possibly 'make menuconfig' to tune the
configuration. The defconfig serves as a start that should work out of the
box.

busybox-menuconfig or the corresponding command for configuration the Linux
Kernel, shall the build system work on the target?

> >> If you started from a defconfig that corresponds to your board, then
yes it's supposed to work just like that.

> >> Best regards,
> >> Thomas
> >

> Hi Tomas,
> ok, I stop to top-post :)

That's already good, now try to keep the list in copy as well, there may be
people with more experience with your board...

> It's a new day in Bulgaria and I try again to build running embedded
Linux with at91sam9263 again. In brief I do the following:

>     1. Run "make clean", "make distclean" to clean everything;
>
>     2. Following your advice in the last letter, I try only with "make
at91sam9263_defconfig" but the build stop because uClibc was not configured
for large files. Then I run "make menuconfig" and configure the uClibc for
large files. Also configure the following things:
>         - Host utilities: host sam-ba was checked. I check also and host
u-boot tools.
>         - Root file system: check ouput format for jffs2 format and
checked the option for Generetate file system summary.
>         - Bootloader: uncheck the Bootstrap option and check only the
U-boot option.

I don't know this board but are you sure you don't need this bootstrap?
Since you're having trouble booting, I'd double check this...

>         - Configure the Kernel to use the same version as the toolchain -
3.x

>     3. Finally I build with make and the result was generated uImage,
rootfs.jffs2 and u-boot.bin. As expected. Then program first the u-boot
file on the target but still no life on the RS232 console. Nothing print.

Has this board worked before? What was it running then?