[Buildroot] Python running very slow with buildroot 2012.05

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Sep 6 14:15:09 UTC 2012

Le Thu, 6 Sep 2012 07:04:01 -0700 (PDT),
Vimal Menon <vimalmenon at yahoo.com> a écrit :

> I happened to download and install buildroot (default 2012.05), while
> checking the compiled image, I saw that python runs very slow. for eg:
>
> On a standard linux, Python 2.7.2 complied with glibc
>
> #time python -c "print 'hello world'"
>
> hello world
>
> real    0m0.077s
> user    0m0.068s
> sys     0m0.009s
>
> and the same command ran on the same machine with the buildroot
> compiled image (not via qemu, but with the image booted through
> grub), python takes a lot more time
>
> #time python -c "print 'hello world'"
>
> hello world
> real    0m 0.28s
> user    0m 0.26s
> sys     0m 0.01s
>
> Why would there be such a huge difference? What might I have done
> wrong? Has anybody of you come across such a situation?

You're not running the C library (by default, Buildroot uses uClibc),
and maybe you're not using the same optimization flags as well.

Try to build a Buildroot system based on glibc, and use the appropriate
optimization flags, maybe it will improve the situation.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons