[Buildroot] initramfs compression and some other questions

Valentine Barshak gvaxon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 21:47:10 UTC 2012

On 10/03/2012 11:58 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
> On 03/10/12 19:54, Valentine Barshak wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been using buildroot for a small (i586) Linux recovery image,
>> having both the kernel and initramfs root in a single
>> image.
>>
>> By default, buildroot (linux/linux.mk) sets GZIP compression for
>> initramfs, and there's no option to choose other
>> compression mode.
>>
>> My question is why is GZIP compression forced for initramfs?
>> IMHO, initramfs compression doesn't make much sense, since
>> the kernel is compressed altogether with initramfs, and we
>> have double compression, that adds more size to the resulting image
>> and time overhead when unpacking.
>>
>> Why not remove the following lines from linux.mk?
>> $(call
>> KCONFIG_DISABLE_OPT,CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_NONE,$(@D)/.config)
>> $(call
>> KCONFIG_ENABLE_OPT,CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_GZIP,$(@D)/.config))
>>
>> Or probably use KCONFIG_ENABLE_OPT,CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_NONE
>> instead?
>>
>> Besides, there are other compression methods supported by linux kernel,
>> so why force GZIP?
>
>   Good idea.  Care to make a patch?

I'll try to play with it a bit more and maybe eventually come up with a
patch.

>> BTW, I have submitted a number of patches to the list, that attempt
>> to fix some of the issues I've encountered while building my recovery
>> image. Is it the right place to share patches or
>> do I need to use bugz and file a bug for each change?
>
>   It's the right place.  We don't use bugzilla that much - basically
> only for
> bugs that aren't resolved (yet).
>

>> I have some more changes that I'd like to share.
>> It's been no ack/nack for the stuff I sent last week. So I'm kind of
>> wondering whether this stuff is needed upstream.
>
>   It just takes a while before patches get committed.  As long as you react
> to the comments you get (like you did), they should be included in the long
> run.  But it can take months...

Really hope it's gonna be faster than that. It's hard to keep track of
things for months.

BTW, some of the patches have got in already, thanks to Peter.

>> And the last question is about adding new packages to buildroot.
>> For example, do you plan to add a pdf viewer?
>>
>> I've added epdfview, it seems to work fine. Is there any reason
>> to not include it in the mainstream buildroot?
>>
>> I've also added tigervnc for my small recovery image.
>> Seems to work fine as well.
>> Do you plan to include it as well or is it considered unneeded for the
>> majority of the buildroot users?
>
>   Well, firefox is on the way in, so a pdf viewer shouldn't be a problem
> :-)

hehe, OK, I'll prolly prepare some more patches if I have time.

Thanks Arnout.

>   Regards,
>   Arnout

Regards,