[Buildroot] Passing arguments to the linker when external toolchain is used.

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Nov 25 22:25:37 UTC 2012

On 25/11/12 21:56, Ronny Meeus wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle<arnout at mind.be>  wrote:
[snip]
>>   In that case, why not just pass them with LDFLAGS?
>>

> Our SW is build in 2 parts: the Linux kernel, buildroot and other
> components are build via buildroot itself.
> Next to this we also have other applications that we build in with "a
> private build infrastructure" using the toolchain, include files etc
> of buildroot.
>
> By adding the extra linker parameters with the wrapper construction we
> can transparantly introduce a new toolchain (with the required
> parameters) in that environment without impact on our build
> infrastructure. The big advantage is that the complete toolchain
> selection (CPU,ABI etc) only needs to be done in buildroot.

  Yes, sounds like a valid use case.

  I also expect that the LDFLAGS are not passed reliably for all packages:
they are hardly ever used, and there are no autobuilder configurations with
any LDFLAGS, so errors in passing LDFLAGS can go unnoticed.

  I don't think we have any other architecture currently in buildroot that
requires something to be passed to ld. If this wrapper construction is
added to buildroot, it would be good if we would also have an internal
use case.

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540