[Buildroot] Built a file system, have a working kernel - how to login ?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Nov 17 12:07:03 UTC 2012

Dear Juha Lumme,

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:45:09 +0900, Juha Lumme wrote:

> The board boots from memory card currently, and I tarball the output/target
> directory and then decompress to the second partition on the memory card.
> This worked for a full 250MB debian file system, so I'm assuming it should
> work here as well..?

Aaargggh, no!

From the Buildroot manual:

   target/ which contains almost the complete root filesystem for the
   target: everything needed is present except the device files
   in /dev/ (Buildroot can’t create them because Buildroot doesn’t run
   as root and doesn’t want to run as root). Therefore, this directory
   should not be used on your target.

Please enable a tarball root filesystem image, and then extract is as
root on the partition of your memory card.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons