[Buildroot] Various problem using buildroot-2012.05

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Nov 12 07:36:46 UTC 2012

Stefan,

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 02:04:57 +0200, Stefan Fröberg wrote:

> Another "little" difficult case is Python.
>
> Even tought Python uses autotools, it (and Perl) will always be the
> worst cross-compile
> friendly citizens in my book.
> Way back, before buildroot, I tried many times to cross-compile it in
> Mingw32 environment and it was an
> absolute nightmare. With Perl I had even less luck.

So far, Python has been relatively manageable and what have a bunch of
Python modules that work.

> Every time I find an interesting open source project that I would like
> to try and cross-compile,
> I will make an silent prayer to God's of programmers that the build
> system that is revealed from
> tarball will be a GNU autoconf script (or even cmake one for God's
> sake) and not
> some hodge-bodge, custom made, configuration nightmare.

I agree that custom made build systems are a pain. However, from my
(possibly naive and idealist) perspective, the right solution to these
is to fix them rather than workarounding the problem using native
compilation on the target.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons