[Buildroot] Various problem using buildroot-2012.05

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Nov 11 22:47:40 UTC 2012

On 11/10/12 15:51, Stefan Fröberg wrote:

> If you try to use buildroot-made target gcc to compile perl, that is, you use buildroot to cross-compile gcc to run
> natively inside
> uClibc (?) environment, then you might encounter problems.
>
> As Thomas has said in few times here for people telling about problems of native gcc-toolchain, buildroot is about
> cross-compiling stuff
> and buildroot produced native gcc-toolchain is really not supported and might be still broken
> (I don't know what the current status of it is now).

  The current status is: we're going to remove it.  Thomas has just posted some
patches to do that.

  The idea is: if you need a toolchain on the target, there is no reason not to
use a normal distro: debian, ubuntu, gentoo, ....

  As for perl, however, I think we really would like to be able to cross-compile
perl modules.  But that unfortunately still needs some work.  I messed about
with it for a bit, but I can't say I really understand how the perl build system
works.

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540