[Buildroot] Various problem using buildroot-2012.05

Stefan Fröberg stefan.froberg at petroprogram.com
Sat Nov 10 14:51:41 UTC 2012

Hi Bernd

10.11.2012 16:28, Bernd Kuhls kirjoitti:
> Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni-wi1+55ScJUtKEb57/3fJTNBPR1lH4CV8
> @public.gmane.org> wrote in news:20120618103657.721db39b at skate:
>
>> Le Mon, 18 Jun 2012 00:46:05 -0700 (PDT),
>> Ming-Ching Tiew <mctiew at yahoo.com> a écrit :
>>> Because there are many packages are not made to compile in a cross
>>> environment. For many, it's not a trial task to adapt those packages
>>> for cross compiling.
>> Which packages are you talking about? If there are of general interest,
>> some people might be interested in helping to get them to cross-compile.
> Hi,
>
> in my case it´s Perl, along with Spamassassin to be build on-top of it. The
> current effort to cross-compile Perl is problematic in regard to cross-
> compile CPAN modules, so now I am trying to compile Perl on the target
> machine using a buildroot-made gcc_target toolchain along with some
> dependency libs.

Yes, Perl is a (as you can see from various patches and problems related
to perl in this mailing list) is a really
major PITA to cross-compile.

If you try to use buildroot-made target gcc to compile perl, that is,
you use buildroot to cross-compile gcc to run natively inside
uClibc (?) environment, then you might encounter problems.

As Thomas has said in few times here for people telling about problems
of native gcc-toolchain, buildroot is about cross-compiling stuff
and buildroot produced native gcc-toolchain is really not supported and
might be still broken
(I don't know what the current status of it is now).

I remember that I promised to Thomas to investigate the native gcc for
x86 (under uClibc) thing and the only solution I have so far
managed to cook is by making a completely self-sustaining, buildroot
independent environment with working perl 5.16, python 2.7,
gcc 4.7, binutils 2.22 and lot's of other stuff. I decided to use RPM
for package management and spend healthy amount of three
weekends of studying how to make RPMs.

Maybe, when I have more time, I will compare my working native uClibc
gcc-toolchain and buildroot produced native uClibc gcc-toolchain
and cook some patches.

In case that buildroot produced native toolchain won't work, I will be
happy to send you my native uClibc-based gcc-toolchain
that you can chroot into, and see if that is of any help.

Mind you that it's still in beta-phase...

Best Regards
Stefan