[Buildroot] problem building a SDL app with buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Nov 8 17:36:49 UTC 2012

Samuel,

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 11:49:58 +0100, Samuel Martin wrote:

> As a quick fix, in your app *.mk file, you can try to add:
> <your app prefix>_CONF_OPT += -DSDL_CONFIG="$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/bin/sdl-config"
>
> You don't have to change anything in the sdl-config from the staging
> area, it is already handled by the sdl package.
>
> BTW, that an issue we are aware of, and we talked a bit about it
> during the last Buildroot Dev Days.
> We just need some time to work on and figure out the best way to fix this.

We indeed discussed it, but as far as I understood, there isn't really
another solution than what we're doing at the moment. Options we
discussed where:

 (1) Install those <foo>-config scripts in $(HOST_DIR)/usr/bin. This
 isn't possible as they would clash with other <foo>-config scripts
 installed by host packages.

 (2) Create a special directory, which is in the PATH passed when
 configuring/building packages, in which we would install those
 <foo>-config script. This works quite OK when those <foo>-config
 scripts are self-contained (which is the case most of the time), but
 not necessarily if they are more elaborate.

So in general, I think we said it wasn't really worth the effort, and
it was probably a lot better to work on moving packages to pkg-config
instead.

For example, in this case, Jeremy should rather use the pkg-config
files of SDL to discover the right compiler/linker flags. pkg-config is
very nicely integrated with CMake, it should even simplify the
CMakeLists.txt.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons