[Buildroot] BR2_PREFER_STATIC_LIB and LDFLAGS+= -static

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Fri Nov 2 22:21:58 UTC 2012

On 11/02/12 18:06, ANDY KENNEDY wrote:
> All,
>
> Near line 302 in package/Makefile.in was added TARGET_LDFLAGS += -static
> to satisfy a request I made a while back.  This really needs to be
> --static so that it filters down through autoconf the correct way.  If
> -static is passed in LDFLAGS, autoconf regularly mishandles this by
> setting a variable then never reconfiguring the package's make system
> to build static.  However, the --static to ld is the same as -static,
> but autoconf does not compare for --static, thus, packages get built as
> desired.

  I don't really understand how it can go wrong...  Can you give an example
of a package with a configure script that handles it the wrong way?

> Can someone change this in package/Makefile.in or should I submit a
> dinky patch for this?

  Yes, please submit a patch.

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540