[Buildroot] Buildroot's busybox-lpr + p910nd

David Purdy david.c.purdy at gmail.com
Wed May 23 00:44:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM, David Purdy <david.c.purdy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas  et al:
>
> I've put together a package/recipe for  p910nd  on Buildroot, it
> compiles fine.   I will submit it via list for inclusion in one of the
> upcoming releases.
>
> But ...  it doesn't seem to execute correctly.   Of course, I've
> built-in strace in my UBIFS image, so I can post back w/ strace output for
> perusal and hopefully someone can spot the problem, if I haven't
> found the problem myself w/i  few days.
>
> Two focused questions:
>
> 1.  Is there anything "socket-related-ish"  (port 910x  x=0,1,2)  that
> is odd or different in the Busybox implementations of lpr ?  Is there
> any crucial capability that it is missing that would prevent it from
> working w/  p910nd (a nonspooling print server that links networked
> computers to a port 910x on the  host, and passes the raw feed to the
> USB Printer).
>
> 2.   I couldn't find anything in the mailing list regarding previous
> efforts to use p910nd in Buildroot w/ busybox's lpr.   Maybe its there
> and I just missed it?  Does it ring a bell for anyone?
>

> thanks,
>
> Dave

Well, I perhaps spoke too soon.  I have it working : I'd forgotten to
create a special dir at /var/lock/subsys/  , and without that it
simply dies and refuses to do anything (not even a reasonable/readable
error message - just silence).   I will submit the package to git w/ a
patch that  makes it use /var/lock/   instead, which is already
present by the time the p910nd daemon starts.  This should simplify
its implementation by whoever in the community finds it useful.

Dave