[Buildroot] Building 2 root filesystems with Buildroot

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at sunsite.dk
Thu May 17 22:22:51 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Chung" == Chung Li Jing <lijing.chung at gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

Please ask buildroot questions on the buildroot list instead of mailing
me directly.

 Chung> Hello,
 Chung> I am trying to get Buildroot to build 2 filesystems; a smaller one
 Chung> with the system files and essentials, and a larger one to hold the big
 Chung> packages (i.e. Qt).

 Chung> The idea is that the kernel will boot up using the smaller one, then
 Chung> mount the larger one during the final stages of initialization. And
 Chung> the two filesystems, or partitions, may be of different filesystem
 Chung> type (i.e. one is yaffs, while the other is ext3).

 Chung> What is the most elegant way to do this in Buildroot?

 Chung> To my knowledge, Buildroot is hardwired to create a system with
 Chung> only one filesystem partition, so some customization is
 Chung> evitable. But I just wonder if you have any suggestions.

Buildroot indeed only handles a single filesystem, so I think the
easiest is to just build a single big filesystem with buildroot (E.G. a
tarball), and then write a small script to split it up into two
filesystems afterwards.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard