[Buildroot] autobuild: group similar failures

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue May 15 06:32:31 UTC 2012

On 05/14/12 23:22, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Although successful builds are nice, the interesting logs are those that
> relate to build failures. Having the ability to sort and categorise those
> failed logs would hopefully help in solving the most common build failures.

  +1

> For example, in the recent past, there were two related alsa-libs build
> failures on PowerPC:
>    http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/a8471598a379e5dbecef539479b968947474ef22/
>    http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/05b306ee2fa909420e4bc1f9faa7a35d17d786a7/
>
> I did not look in details, but it may well be that there are other similar
> build failures of alsa-libs on PowerPC. Solving the error in one of those
> builds would also solve the other(s).
>
> So, we need a heuristic to detect how similar two failed build logs are, and
> eventually group those failures together. Below is such simple heuristic:
>
>   1- extract the last 100 lines-or-so from two build logs (already done)
>   2- sort each extract
>   3- diffstat the sorted extracts
>   4- the lower the number of different lines, the higher the similarity

  A much simpler heuristic would be to put failures of the same package together.
It's very likely that they're the same.  The diffstat has the disadvantage that
it can still be pretty different if the compiler path is different (for packages
that don't do a quiet make like alsa-libs does).

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540