[Buildroot] Console login root needing a password

Nigel Sollars nsollars at gmail.com
Fri May 4 03:04:05 UTC 2012

Hello,

For this time around Yegor is the winner,  it dropped me to a shell
directly where I was able to set a root password, this allowed me to ssh
into the unit.

Thanks Yegor!

I tested my target toolchain out and that works like a champ.

You buildroot guys kick the proverbial rear end ;).

With much gratitude
Nige

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Le Thu, 03 May 2012 13:35:39 +0100,
> Graham Newton <gnewton at peavey-eu.com> a écrit :
>
> > I recently had this issue when I directly mounted the buildroot
> > generated filesystem via NFS.  After a frustrating day I discovered
> > that the suid bit had be set on the busybox executable.  So when
> > login was run busybox ran as an unknown user (not root) and so failed
> > causing the login to fail.  The fix was to run chmod -s busybox on
> > the NFS server. What was baffeling was that the issue went away if I
> > copied the filesystem somewhere else.
> > In the course of my investigations I found I could login if I tried
> > Yegor's solution but it did not give me root access.
>
> Busybox is normally installed inside the target filesystem image with
> the suid bit set. From package/busybox/busybox.mk:
>
> define BUSYBOX_PERMISSIONS
> /bin/busybox                     f 4755 0 0 - - - - -
> /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script f 755  0 0 - - - - -
> endef
>
> Are you sure:
>
>  * You extracted output/images/rootfs.tar as root, and didn't use
>   output/target for your NFS export? If you did the latter, then of
>   course all permissions would be wrong, because output/target is
>   created by Buildroot, which doesn't run as root and therefore can't
>   set any special permission.
>
>  * You configured your NFS export with no_root_squash?
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
> Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
> development, consulting, training and support.
> http://free-electrons.com

“Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition.”

Alan Turing