[Buildroot] Kconfig: "selects" vs. "depends on"

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Mar 6 22:03:17 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Arnout" == Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> writes:

 Arnout> On Sunday 04 March 2012 11:11:58 Samuel Martin wrote:
 >> 2012/3/4 Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno at gmail.com>:
 >> > Which should I use?
 >> Afaik, "depends on" is transitive, whereas "select" is not, see [1] as ref.

 Arnout>  Actually, no.  Both of them are transitive, but only with
 Arnout> themselves.  So a depends-on chain works, and a select chain
 Arnout> works, but a mix of depends-on and select doesn't.  Bottom line
 Arnout> is: if you use select, you should copy the depends-on
 Arnout> statements of the symbol you select.  Which is one reason why I
 Arnout> claim we should use select as much as possible (to avoid mixing
 Arnout> them).

We use select for normal (library) dependencies, and depends on for "big
things" like toolchain options, Xorg, ..

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard