[Buildroot] Various problem using buildroot-2012.05

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Jun 18 06:45:48 UTC 2012

Le Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:35:15 -0700 (PDT),
Ming-Ching Tiew <mctiew at yahoo.com> a écrit :

> I encountered various problems using buildroot-2012.05, all to do
> with using buildroot as a chroot build environment.

Why would you do this?

Buildroot is here to cross-compile your libraries and applications, it
really doesn't make much sense to use it to generate a chrooted
environment in which you compile your applications. At least, that's
not how Buildroot developers/users typically use Buildroot, so it's an
area (using a native compiler on the target, with development files)
that doesn't receive a lot of attention, hence the problems you are
facing.

To the community: there seem to be an increasing number of people who
misunderstand how to use Buildroot properly. Should we simply get rid
of the "toolchain on target" option? Should we write a FAQ question
about this? Generally speaking, I don't think Buildroot is the good
tool to build a full-featured system that includes a compiler and all
related development tools to build stuff on the target. What do others
think about this?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons