[Buildroot] Linux throwing "uncompression error" on rootfs.ext2.gz ?

Judson Wilson judson at powerstandards.com
Tue Jul 3 00:57:08 UTC 2012

Curious if anyone has run into an issue where their ext2.gz image causes
linux boot to say "uncompression error", like this:

RAMDISK: gzip image found at block 0
uncompression error
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 1:0.

I have two patches to my buildroot install, one that causes this, and
one that doesn't. Both have the same config file.

I can't imagine this to be caused by the contents of the skeleton,
unless it is a bug in either buildroot (or its zipper), or my Linux
kernel (ARM). My kernel is 2.6.37.

I can't see any significant changes in the kernel to
lib/decompress_inflate.c, lib/zlib_deflate, or lib/zlib_inflate since
our version.

Also of interest, the suspect file passes a 7zip "Test archive".

Thanks for any help or ideas!
-Judson