[Buildroot] Buildroot Developer Day, Friday 3rd February, Brussels

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jan 27 15:36:30 UTC 2012

Le Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:32:02 +0100,
Yegor Yefremov <yegor_sub1 at visionsystems.de> a écrit :

> That's where such tools as gerrit and build server come in play,
> cause they perform automatic integration build and let you know if
> patch is broken or breaks something.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way with Buildroot. There is no
such thing as "the build works" or "the build doesn't work" as in a
regular software. Depending on what the patch modifies, a different set
of configuration options needs to be set in order to test that the patch
actually works. With regular software, you can easily test build a few
configuration options (debug vs. release mode, support of this or
support of that), but Buildroot has millions of different possibles
combinations, which your build server cannot test within a reasonable
time. So only an human being can decide "Hmm, for this patch, I will
try out this config and this config and this config, because those
configs are the one that will make actual use of the patch".

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons