[Buildroot] including python when compiling for microblaze

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Jan 12 10:02:45 UTC 2012

Hello,

Le Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:47:13 +0100,
Johannes Teiwes <jteiwes at informatik.uni-bremen.de> a écrit :

> I am currently trying to port the python package in buidroot to the
> microblaze platform. I have everything set up with a custom toolchain
> etc. and it works fine. The problem is the libffi library, which is
> required for building any script language (e.g. perl, python) for
> buildroot. The exact error message says
>
> configure: error: "libffi has not been ported to
> microblaze-unknown-linux-gnu."
>
> Has anyone started to port libffi to another platform or even found a
> specific workaround for microblaze? Is there any alternative to the
> libffi library or installing python via buildroot?

Apparently, libffi has no supported for microblaze, and it seems that
libffi is a mandatory dependency for building Python. It looks like you
have two options:

 *) Port libffi to Microblaze

 *) Use a more lightweight scripting language such as Lua. Python is
    quite heavy for MMU-less systems at 100-180 Mhz such as Microblaze
    systems. Lua is probably a much better fit for this kind of systems.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons