[Buildroot] Cant type anything into Serial Console login

Jigar SOLANKI jigar.solanki at labri.fr
Wed Jan 11 15:35:44 UTC 2012

Le 11/01/2012 16:28, Peter Korsgaard a écrit :

>  >> That doesn't seem to match your first mail:
>  >>
>  >> # Put a getty on the serial port
>  >> ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100 # GENERIC_SERIAL
>  >>

>  Jigar> Yep, sorry, I was just testing every ttySx at random. The command line
>  Jigar> indeed was with ttyS0 of course, everything in kernel command/serial
>  Jigar> console client/inittab/security is coherent with the ttySx I choose.
>
>  Jigar> Same result with both.
>
> What do you mean with 'same result'? From your first mail you mentioned
> you got 'Welcome to Buildroot' and a Login prompt. If you boot with
> init=/bin/sh you shouldn't get any of that.
>
> I notice you don't provide any root=. What kind of file system are you
> trying to boot?
>
> Perhaps just paste the entire boot log.

Yes, I didn't get anything of that.

So, with ttyS0, with complete command = console=ttyS0,38400,
I get to the boot prompt, where I can't type anything, the keyboard
doesnt respond.

And with complete command = console=ttyS0,38400 init=/bin/sh
The boot process hangs on the first line which is Booting Linux....
and then..nothing. If I tried to type anything with my keyboard at that
time, same result, which is : nothing happens, the keyboard still doesnt
responding at all.

I also tried with a USB<->Serial converter (so, with ttyUSB0 then) and
had the same result without init=/bin/sh, I get to the Buildroot boot
prompt and then cannot login because I can't type anything ; and also
wiith init=/bin/sh where the boot process stops at Booting Linux...and
then nothing happens, even if I type something. Even with ENTER key, the
output doesnt go to the next blank line...

Sigh...
--
Jigar SOLANKI

LaBRI - UMR 5800
Université Bordeaux 1
351 Cours de la Libération
F-33405 Talence Cedex
Phone : (+33) 5 4000 24 87
Fax   : (+33) 5 4000 66 69
Web   : http://www.labri.fr/perso/solanki

* Please do not print this e-mail unless it's really necessary *
---