[Buildroot] Where does post-build script belong?

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 21:29:53 UTC 2012

On 02/28/2012 01:06 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-02-28, Arnout Vandecappelle<arnout at mind.be>  wrote:
>> On Tuesday 21 February 2012 14:54:47 Grant Edwards wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I don't want to replace the default skeleton.  I want to add some
>>> files to it, and possible modify a few.  The documentation describes
>>> two ways to do that:
>>>
>>>    1) package/customize
>>>
>>>    2) post-build script
>>>
>>> I'm told 1) is now depricated, so I'm switching to 2).
>>>
>>> Where under board/mycompany/myproduct do you put "extra" files that
>>> will be added to the standard skeleton?
>> I put it in board/mycompany/myproduct/skeleton.  Although
>> rootfs-additions would be a better name than skeleton.
> Ah, perhaps I've misunderstood what a custom skeleton was for the past
> several years.  I thought it was the basis for the filesystem.  Is the
> custom skeleton something that's _added_ on top of the default
> skeleton rather than used in place of it?

Perhaps, but it is your script. If you want to completely replace the
existing skeleton you can, but I think it makes more sense to just
overlay new stuff on top of the default skeleton. This makes your new
skeleton much smaller, and since it is run after every build, you don't
have to wonder if changes make it to the target filesystem, it always does.

Regards, Steve