[Buildroot] simple question about dropbear

Johannes Teiwes jteiwes at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Tue Feb 14 09:30:45 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

Am 13.02.2012 um 21:38 schrieb Peter Korsgaard:

> Spenser> Johannes,
> Spenser> I'm having a similar issue with dropbear and have switched to the
> Spenser> openssh server for now.  What patches are you using for microblaze
> Spenser> strace?  I'd like to add them to my build.
>
> So it might be a microblaze specific issue? This is Microblaze with mmu,
> right?

Yes, you're right. But i have problems investigating what the system is
actually doing when stalling the ssh-connection.

> Spenser> debug1: sending SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT
> Spenser> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY
>
> This is afaik here were it generates the session key. Are you sure it
> isn't just slow? Do you have BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_SMALL enabled?

I have also BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_SMALL enabled in my configuration.
The 'slowness' can be the cause since the microblaze machine only runs at about 66MHz.

Is there any way to convince dropbear/ssh to use a small (or precomputed) session key?
If this is possible one could check, if the system-speed is really the limiting factor.

> There recently was some discussion about it on the dropbear list:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.ssh.dropbear/1018
>
> --
> Bye, Peter Korsgaard

Any other ideas?
I am using static device tables and the default dev_table as my structure - maybe
there are some devices missing or misconfigured for doing ssh right out of the box?

thanks so far,
Johannes

Johannes Teiwes - jteiwes at tzi.de