[Buildroot] Ext4 rootfs option

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Feb 8 22:10:48 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 22:24:45 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:14:00 +1000,
> Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> a écrit :
>
> > Is it worth my while to provide some (first time newbie) patches
> > for a ext4 rootfs?
>
> Sure!
>
> How do you generate ext4 images? You use genext2fs and then some other
> commands to enable ext4-specific features? Is there another utility?

 I currently use genext2fs, followed by  tune2fs to add the journal and
e2fsck to fix the incorrect FS version  number.  But it's extremely
inefficient, especially since genext2fs first builds the filesystem in
memory before committing to the output image.  Not good when you want to
create a 500GB partition :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540