[Buildroot] Reviewing the Buildroot ELC presentation slides

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 07:23:20 UTC 2012

[sorry wasn't finished yet]

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have posted at http://free-electrons.com/~thomas/pub/buildroot.pdf
>> the current version of the slides I intend to present next week at the
>> ELC in San Francisco.
>>
>> For the record, the conference abstract is:
>> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference/petazzoni
>>
>> I would be very interested in your comments and review, both on details
>> (typos, mistakes) but also on the overall contents of the slides.
>
> slide 4: Complete rebuild -> rebuilds
>
> slide 9: I find it a bit strange that the toolchain block is at the
> bottom, since it is the first thing to be produced. But maybe you
> intentionally put it there as most people would care more about the
> other blocks...
>
> slide 13: a SDK -> I think this should be 'an SDK' as this is how you
> pronounce it.
>
> slide 14: on the internal toolchain you write 'the historic one': I
> feel it could be interpreted negatively and not as a viable
> alternative.
> slide 14: an uClibc --> here I think it should be 'a uClibc' as you
> pronounce as 'you-see-libc'.
>
> slide 18: is9660 -> iso9660
>
> slide 23: I'd put a semicolon instead of comma between the toolchain
> and library example
> slide 23: all reverse dependencies needs to be rebuilt -> need
>
> slide 25: a few stamps files -> stamp
>
> slide 29: there should be a space after 'make' in
> make<foo>-reconfigure and make<foo>-rebuild
>
> slide 30: choosen -> chosen

slide 38: needs to set --> need

General things:
- ordering of slides: I had a jump-around feeling around slide 20 and
a bit further:
20: building
21-22: examples
23: simplicity principle
24-25: build output
26 and further: overall logic

I would put the slides on build output after slide 20 about building.
And the simplicity slide seems a bit lost there in my opinion. I don't
directly see the relation with the surrounding slides. Maybe it can be
put further on, e.g. before the 'future directions' slide. But again,
this can be just me.

Are you still planning to add an agenda slide?

You haven't mentioned anything about recent features as source
directory override and local site method. Not sure if this becomes too
detailed, though.

But overall: nice job again for this presentation. Good luck with it!