[Buildroot] Setting up Perf for buildroot

Kaiwan Billimoria kaiwan.billimoria at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 04:26:08 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I saw this message titled "[Buildroot] elfutils and the perf userspace
tool" (see below) on the buildroot mailing list. Last email is shown below:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Bogdan Radulescu,

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:10:12 -0800 (PST), Bogdan Radulescu wrote:

> I noticed now that this is in the newer versions. I tried to build it
> without libelf even though it will be pretty crippled but still I
> didn't have any luck. http://pastie.org/pastes/5489305/text
>
> I tried with using 3.7-rc3. In 3.4.22 isn't patched for building
> without libelf. On which version did you manage to build it for ARM?

I never built perf for ARM so far, so I can't really help,
unfortunately.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I too am very interested in getting the 'perf' tools onto buildroot.
I would be willing to try this and submit a patch for the same (in fact I
already have one from
another source that seems to work, successfully cross-compiling perf for
ARM), but before that, I have a question:

What would be the appropriate location in the buildroot tree for 'perf'?
Packages branch? Am asking as, of course, perf is a Linux *kernel* (but)
user-space component/tool (it lives under <kernel-src-tree>/tools/perf).
So should we look at inserting a patch as part of the 'kernel' menu or
under 'packages' itself?

TIA!
Kaiwan.