[Buildroot] Any way to override .config settings?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Dec 20 00:20:44 UTC 2012

On 20/12/12 01:13, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle<arnout at mind.be>  wrote:
>> On 19/12/12 23:20, Charles Manning wrote:
>>>
>>> I need to be able to build a system from an svn repository using a
>>> bunch of different revisions for different elements. For example, I
>>> might want to use the kernel at r 1234, u-boot at r 4567 and the
>>> rootfs+apps at r 3344.
>>

>>   Uh? Sounds like a horrible idea to me.
>
> Why does it sound like a terrible idea?

  I thought you meant the buildroot directories would be at different
versions. But you just want to override the
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_GIT_VERSION, that's OK of course.

[snip]
>>> 1) Is there a built in mechanism in buildroot to include extra symbols
>>> and override those in .config?
>>

>>   Yes, the package override file: BR2_PACKAGE_OVERRIDE_FILE, defaults to
>> $(TOPDIR)/local.mk. I use this to include a bunch of project-specific .mk
>> files that add packages without requiring a Config.in.
>
> In a separate thread to this, I submitted a patch that follows the
> package overriding idea to override the config

  Since it does exactly the same as BR2_PACKAGE_OVERRIDE_FILE, I don't
see the point... Unless you want to start overriding toolchain configs.

  Actually, I don't see much point to override the .config - why not just
save a different .config?

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540