[Buildroot] Any way to override .config settings?

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:13:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
> On 19/12/12 23:20, Charles Manning wrote:
>>
>> I need to be able to build a system from an svn repository using a
>> bunch of different revisions for different elements. For example, I
>> might want to use the kernel at r 1234, u-boot at r 4567 and the
>> rootfs+apps at r 3344.
>

>  Uh? Sounds like a horrible idea to me.

Why does it sound like a terrible idea?

>> Now I could achieve this by going into the .config with menuconfig and
>> changing the config, but I would prefer to be able to have a file of
>> revisions to use and have buildroot pick up those revision symbols
>> instead.
>

>  I don't see the relation between the .config and svn revisions.

Well svn revisions are useful to me with the changes I have made to
fetch linux from a custom location. I have not submitted that patch
yet. The same would apply for a git revison.

We want to lock the versions we build into releases or use a different
release for experimental reasons.  Overriding is sometimes less
intrusive than changing the .config.

>> I guess there are a few ways this could be handled:
>>
>> 1) Is there a built in mechanism in buildroot to include extra symbols
>> and override those in .config?
>

>  Yes, the package override file: BR2_PACKAGE_OVERRIDE_FILE, defaults to
> $(TOPDIR)/local.mk. I use this to include a bunch of project-specific .mk
> files that add packages without requiring a Config.in.

In a separate thread to this, I submitted a patch that follows the
package overriding idea to override the config