[Buildroot] Best way of building for unknown architecture

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Aug 17 17:43:10 UTC 2012

Le Fri, 17 Aug 2012 18:39:55 +0100,
Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :

> 	Openembedded, T2 and NuttX seem to support arm7-m (cortex-m3)
> 	but I like buildroot. Is the best way of building to use Little
> 	endian generic and the GCC compiler or is it fairly easy to add
> 	a new architecture variant that I could possibly send a diff
> 	for later.

Adding a new target architecture variant just requires a few lines of
code in target/Config.in.arch. If you give some hints, I'm pretty sure
someone will be kind enough to help you making the necessary changes.

> 	Similarly is it easier to use the kernel patch config and kernel
> 	config options or is it fairly easy to add a Target
> 	architecture.

In 'make menuconfig', Kernel submenu, there is an option to point to
kernel patches needed for your platform.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons