[Buildroot] Suggestion: increase username buffer size in busybox login

Dmitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 03:18:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr> wrote:

>> Or would it be better to raise this with busybox developers?
>
> Yep, probably. If there's a hard-reason for 32, they are the guys that
> will know for sure, and if the change is accepted, they are the guys
> that can apply it ;-)
>     busybox at busybox.net

Well, the busybox developers stick with the original Unix spec
limiting username length at 32 chars:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-August/078256.html

So I am repeating my question: is anybody among Buildroot users also
interested in such patching of busybox: in case longer usernames (like
firstname.lastname at host.example.org) are desired, increase the
username buffer in login.c to 256 characters?

Thanks.

--
Dmitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web