[Buildroot] Best practices for managing the dl directory

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 07:32:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Frank Hunleth
<fhunleth at troodon-software.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how others have managed files in the dl directory. I
> need to make sure that old versions are buildable. The main buildroot
> upstream source code mirror has been extremely reliable. In fact, it
> has never failed for me (a big thanks to everyone who maintains this),
> but as you can imagine some people want every bit that goes into a
> build to be locally managed. I've addressed this in the past by
> setting up a local mirror that has copies of all of the files in the
> dl directory. However, recently, it was desired that all of these
> files be checked in under revision control. This didn't seem like a
> bad suggestion in principle, but the files are large, and I'm afraid
> that the git repository will soon become too large and slow to work
> with regularly.
>
> Does anyone manage their dl directories differently? I'm curious how
> other people have managed this.

I have set up a mirror of the files, accessed using scp from a network location.
As the tarballs have version numbers in their filename, I did not see
the need for a version control system on top of it.

I simply have a mechanism to prevent overwrites of existing files.