[Buildroot] util-linux builds and installs lots of unwanted binaries

Gustavo Zacarias gustavo at zacarias.com.ar
Tue Apr 17 11:08:36 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-17 05:35, Sven Neumann wrote:

>> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-October/046854.html
>
> Thanks. This works for us. But I would like to see such a change to
> go
> into buildroot and I understand why this patch has not been accepted
> in
> this form. The general idea of overriding the install command is
> nice,
> however the newly introduced option BR2_PACKAGE_UTIL_LINUX_BASIC is
> somewhat misleading. It gives the impression that it would select the
> basic utilities and instead no utility will be installed unless it is
> selected. It should probably be renamed and other options like
> BR2_PACKAGE_UTIL_LINUX_LOGIN_UTILS would have to depend on it or
> select
> it.
>
> Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your help with this patch.
>

> Regards,
> Sven

Cool, feedback at last ;)
Yes, i should make the other options depend on UTIL_LINUX_BASIC.
However there's a choice in front regarding UTIL_LINUX_BASIC - with all
the util-linux options disabled and this one enabled you still get
binary stuff installed because they're, well, basic utilities always
built by util-linux.
So the option would be to keep the basic option as is or add more
granular options for all those other tiny utilities described in the
help and remove/keep them in a post hook.
I'd rather go for the second option since not many people will want
mkfs.bfs, mkfs.minix and those utilities most of the time, even when
installing others.
Regards.

Ideas?