[Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Apr 13 07:56:17 UTC 2012

Le Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:38:58 +0200,
Mikael Åsberg <mikael.asberg at mdh.se> a écrit :

> First I did 'make menuconfig' and set mxs_defconfig, and then 'make'.
> Then I do 'make linux-menuconfig' (adding as many UART options as possible).
> I do a 'make menuconfig' again and set Kernel --> Kernel configuration --> Using a custom config file.
> I change file path to output/build/linux-3.2.6/.config (instead of mxs_defconfig).

You don't need to do this last step. 'make linux-menuconfig' will edit
the output/build/linux-3.2.6/.config file, and it will be use at the

However, you will want to save your .config file somewhere else in
order to not lose it when you'll do a make clean.

> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Build your kernel with CONFIG_EARLYPRINTK and pass the "earlyprintk"
argument on the kernel command line. It will give some more details on
what's happening.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons