[Buildroot] udhcpc when link is up

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 20:23:10 UTC 2012

I guess my "noobness hat" must be worn a second day in that I look at
ifplugd and dont quite see the issue. Admiteddly the "noobness hat" is
worn because I spend most of my time in u-boot and the kernel, but
that is only an excuse.

>From the target:
# ifplugd -h //runs, displays help, leads me to /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf
# cat /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf
 ARGS="-fI -u0 -d10"
 INTERFACES="eth0"

If eth0 is plugged in when the system is started with
/etc/network/interfaces specifying "dhcp", I see the "sending
discover" and get a ipAddress, netmask, gateway and DNS.

If eth0 is "not" plugged in when the system is started and I plug in
the cable after the system gets to a bash prompt, I can see the "Link
is up" message, but, no "sending discover" and hence the eth0
interface is not configured.

I can trigger dhcp with
# udhcpc
and everything works fine, but somehow, ifplugd (or something else) is
not able to key off the "Link is Up" and get me to the next stage.

So, I am asking for a bit more advice, up to and including
"http://ifplugdForDummies.biz" or "http://ReadThisManualDummy.uggh"

Charles Krinke

--
Charles Krinke