[Buildroot] Creating an external toolchain [was: Re: Antw:Re: Antw: Antw:Re: libgcc build fails on Fedora15]

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Sep 28 06:05:20 UTC 2011

On Monday 26 September 2011 16:55:09, MARCEL JANSSEN wrote:
> I just have one question which probably belongs in the faq (I may have
> missed something as well). I can't yet figure out how to build the output
> for different devices without recompiling the whole toolchain. I have
> several different images which are just a little different in the sense
> that they all have the same kernel but some different packages. It would
> be great if I could just switch between configs and don't have to
> recompile the whole toolchain again or even shared packages between those
> configs.

 Buildroot supports an external toolchain, but it isn't easy to create one.
The easiest is to use a crosstool-NG toolchain: build it, install it in some
central place, and use it as an external toolchain from buildroot.

 It would be nice if buildroot also supported creation of an external
toolchain (based on an internal toolchain config).  The toolchain is currently
built in output/host/usr/... and is not relocatable, so it's difficult to
share it between different buildroot builds.

 Regards,
 ARnout
--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540