[Buildroot] Question related to a support to a new architecture

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Wed Sep 7 09:44:52 UTC 2011

Hi stl,

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 11:34:24AM +0200, stl wrote:
> I am porting Linux for a new architecture, and I need to build my Linux
> system.
>
> Of course this architecture is not supported by Buildroot, so I am wondering
> if it is possible to do the port by myself?

Do you have binutils and gcc support for this architecture? If not, Buildroot
support is the least of your problems.

> If so, what should be the quantity of work to do that?

Support for a whole new architecture requires ports for the following
components:

1. binutils
2. gcc
3. A bootloader (like u-boot)
4. The Linux kernel
5. A C library (glibc or uClibc, etc.)

I'd estimate the work involved in a few person years (not including testing).

baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems